Day 25-Had I Not Gotten On the Train, That Day


If things had gone differently
I may have not missed 
the early train. Or perhaps changed
my mind altogether.
Had I not gotten on the train, 
                                that day, 

I would have never smelled the penetrating
scent of that delicate(so I thought, at the time) Lily
of the Incas, Alstroemeria.
As I wound up the staircase to
find my seat, I came face to face with
the orchids hidden deep within your eyes.

Which held me in a trance from the very
moment they met mine, forcing 
me to stake out your neighbor, to find out
when they would detrain,
pouncing on the empty seat. It
was I who was powerless
and fragile, no chance of escape.

I was a gazelle, innocently taking
a drink of crisp water, unaware of the 
Lioness lying in wait. You spoke to me
of Frida and Diego, you quoted Neruda 
and Garcia Marquez. That was bad 
enough. I was already a puddle (or
puddy?) where a man used to sit.

As I inhaled your delicious fragrance, 
intoxicating me, you suddenly burst
(no, exploded) into Your laughter. So
unexpected, yet like a volcano. The thunder
shook the train car's seats and rails, other
passengers turned round to see
the source of the storm, only 
to see me, glazed eyes, mouth half
smiling, floating a few inches
above the floor. 

You were not the delicate Lily of the Incas.
In fact, you weren't a flower at all. More 
like like the warrior Tupac Amaru with
a laughter that could make a hungry 
crocodile stop and smile. 

Had I not gotten on the train, 
                                that day, 
I would never known your depth,
intelligence, sense of humor. I
never would have known the person 
I would become,
by your side. 

I may have wandered the rest
of my days, content to sip the 
sap of delicate flowers, one
after the other, each sweet
in it's own way, but losing 
their flavor too quickly, leaving me 
filling full in the moment, but always
empty again. 

Comments

Popular Posts