NaPoWriMo 20 The Mexican Standoff!

a word of caution:  I don't remember writing this.  but i found it in my  book of poetry i've written this month.  take that as you will, i give it no meaning.

I woke up this morning
dead.
I blacked out.
Don't know how I got here.

You dump the drink on the wrong guy.
or make fun of someone with big friends.

You never really know.

Last moment of consciousness
I was slanging Mojitos and Coronas.

The well dressed young guy
with the super model on his arm
maybe I shouldn't have
made that last wise crack.

But it was only a joke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(an aside: as I attempt to make sense of this, a couple of years ago, I was bartending in San Diego, on the border with Tijuana and a 'wise guy'-small time mafia dude threatened to kill me as he threw his drink at me and it smashed all over the bar.  I think he might be in this 'poem'. somewhere)

Comments

Popular Posts