The Yellow Flannel Shirt

(first draft, stream of conscious. I'll post my rewrites as I progress. I already changed the name. I wrote this on a pad of lined paper just now and then typed it up, so even that changed a few of the original words)

The Guy In the Light Yellow Flannel

I just saw a man walking down the sidewalk, 
Crying. Curly hair, a bit shaggy
A plaid flannel with big chunky squares
Like the one I’ve got on.
He looks DEEPLY
Sad
Wondering why life has to be like this,
Shaking his head.

He has a bag in his hand. With a large can of 
Cheap, shitty beer.
Just a homeless drunk.
No, I saw his eyes
Clear with sadness and heartbreak.
Maybe homeless…
His beard isn’t that scraggly
His clothes aren’t that dirty.

Why does this make him seem more deserving of sadness?
Of heartache, of my sympathy.
I’ve come to despise the 
Angry, smelly, vile, violent bodies 
Looking pathetically at me while I 
Wait at the stop light
Late for work.
(I can’t even afford my coffee today.)
Huddled together
Hiding from the rain around a plastic table
In between the small green and bron hills of tarps and tents
On the side of the freeway
As I curse the damned traffic
Making me late for the gym.

How can they just camp there?
Why are they allowed to put down
Wherever they want?
The police stop every young person
Every black or brown person who dares to pull out their phone
But they can’ make these motherfuckers move?
Somewhere else?
At least before I could enjoy my music
And shitty traffic
Without looking at them
And the pile of bikes
New bikes.
My sister’s $2,500 bike 
That got stolen last month
Is probably there.
I’ve got half a mind to 
Stop here on the freeway and have a look.
What the hell will they do about it?
They probably have 
Knives, and look
Traffic’s moving.
“Keep my sister’s bike another day!”
I shout.
“I’ll be back”
I haven’t said anything.
Just white knuckles 
On the steering wheel.
The gym made me feel better.

I’m having my coffee now.
I guess I can afford it.
Looking out the window
Thinking how stupid
I feel. About last night
I was so drunk
So drunk
I told someone, I didn’t know
How lucky they were
To still have their Mom
To stop bitching and
Call her 
Give her a hug, while
While you still have her. 
I shook with righteous knowing
Superiority 
And suddenly I didn’t care that this guy just didn’t get it.
I wanted to hug his mother.
I wanted to tell his mom, 
I’m sorry!
I’m sorry I told you 
Someday  you’re going to get sick!
Because you refuse to take care of yourself
You refuse to listen to the doctors
And don’t ask me for help then
Don’t expect me to be waiting around
To take care of you then!

The party had gotten quiet
I was screaming 
At the poor kid who’s
Only sin was 
being so lucky as
To take for granted His loving mother
To not yet have to realize 
He would miss that nagging 
He’s bitching about.
I had spilled my beer.
I was shaking
Spilling all over me and the ground
From the can of my cheap, shitty beer.

My coffee steams still
The street wet and the sky sad.
The curly haired guy 
With the plaid flannel
Sits at a wooden patio table
His head in his hands
I wonder where his mom is
She would hug him 
and tell him 
everything’s gonna be alright.

Comments

Popular Posts